Friday, October 16, 2009

Chapter 13

It was about five a.m. when Charlotte turned over to look at the clock. She’d dozed off a few hours before, but was having a restless sleep. She looked behind her at Jeremy, who was frowning in his sleep.

She snuggled up closer to him and laid her head on his chest, the fine hairs tickling her nose.

She smiled to herself as she thought about their night. She pulled the covers up more, trying to keep the coldness of the room from stealing Jeremy’s body heat from her. She closed her eyes and sighed to herself. Things couldn’t have gone more perfect last night in her eyes.

She thought back to how, at first, she didn’t know what was going to happen. Jeremy was laying with his arms wrapped around her tightly, like he thought she would run away. His head was buried in her hair.

He released his hold on her and moved her hair away from her neck. Then he gently placed a trail of kissed from her collar bone on around to her lips. She’d never had anyone kiss her as intensely as he was kissing her at that moment. She realized, in that instance, that every kiss she’d received from him so far, he was kissing her like it was the last time. That feeling made her feel sad, and before she knew it, a lone tear trailed down her face and over her cheek. Jeremy noticed it right away.

“Honey, what’s wrong? Did I hurt you?” he asked, scooting away from her body.

“No, no, nothing like that,” she said. “It’s nothing.”

He looked at her in disbelief.

“How can you expect me to believe its nothing when you’re crying? Charlotte, talk to me,” he pleaded.

She sighed and took a deep breath. She told him how she felt and he admitted that that was how he felt. He didn’t know what was going to happen, but he felt like he needed this with her. They both did.

She reached out and hugged him tightly. When she pulled back, she placed a soft kiss on his lips. He followed her lead and from there as they kissed, caressed and made love to each other’s bodies for the first time.

Afterwards they talked and cuddled until they could no longer keep their eyes open.

As Charlotte was reliving what she believed was a dream come true for her, Jeremy pulled her as close to his body as he could get. Charlotte giggled at his efforts. It was funny that they both woke with the same intentions and she knew that she couldn’t get any closer to him than she already was.

After they got resettled, they stilled their bodies, listening to the other breathing.

Just as they both started to doze off, a familiar song started to play on the radio. The volume was barely up, but they couldn’t help but make out the one song that they felt was most fitting to their situation.

“Wow. If that’s not a slap in the face, I don’t know what is,” Charlotte said.

To hear “As We Lay” playing on the radio at that moment, it was bizarre.

Jeremy listened to the song, with his eyes closed. He was thinking the same thing she was.

“Jeremy,” Charlotte spoke, “I don’t know what is going to happen tomorrow, or even the rest of today for that matter, but I don’t want to go back to a life without you in it.”

She sat up and pulled the blanket up around her. She wanted to see his face and his reaction to what she was about to say.

“I don’t want you to be out of my life again. I love you, I always have and I know I always will. I know that once we leave from here, reality will set in and we’ll both have to go back to the way things were yesterday morning before we both set foot in La Madeleine. But I’m willing to accept whatever may come, as long as I can still have you be a part of my life.”

Jeremy sat up.

“I know, and I feel the same way. I have loved you since day one and I will probably be kicking myself to the end of time because I waited so long to tell you that. But I’m glad we got a chance to talk about it and get it all out in the open. And I can honestly tell you that after last night, if I had it to do all over again, I wouldn’t change a thing. I’m glad we talked and kissed and I’m glad I got to experience real love making. I love you, girl, and nothing is going to change that, or change us. Period, point blank.”

Charlotte smiled at him. That was exactly what she needed to hear from him.

“I know that we can go from this day forward still being friends, best friends. I don’t know what I would do if I lost you again,” Charlotte said.

“Well, that’s one thing you’ll never have to worry about. You’re stuck with me.”
“I like the sound of that!” Charlotte said, as she let Jeremy pull her in for kiss.
_________________________________________________________________________

After leaving the hotel, Jeremy plugged his car charger into the slot on his cell phone. He didn’t want to have to think about what he was having to return to once he got home, but at least with Robin out of town, he had a little time to think about it.

He powered the phone on and set it on the pedestal on his dashboard. Once it was completely on, it beeped to let him know that he had voicemails. He hesitated as he pushed the icon for voicemail. He’d never turned his phone off all night long when Robin was out of town. She always called him before she settled in for the night.

As the recorded voice was telling him he had two new messages, he thought back to the day before. He couldn’t remember talking to Robin after she left. He found her note telling him that she had to leave earlier than expected, but still, she didn’t call him to say she made it or goodnight.

He snapped out of it when he heard a male voice coming from his phone.

“J, what’s up man? I was just calling to see if you wanna hang out tomorrow. I know you’re busy today, but maybe we can hook up and go play some ball at the courts? Hit me back.”

That one was from David. He figured he’d call him back and tell him that yes they could go play basketball. Maybe it would help him take his mind off Charlotte. Not that thinking about here was a bad thing, but thinking about her just made him want to be with her. He just wanted to hold her hand, kiss her cheek, hear her laugh. Anything.

He sighed as he listened to his next message.

“Hey JJ,” his mom said, using one of her nicknames for him, “its your mom. I was just calling to see if you wanted to come by Sunday and we can go to brunch or something. Maybe we could invite Charlotte to join us? Okay, give me a call. Love you, son.”

He smiled and shook his head at his mom’s message. Saying that she was happy to hear from Charlotte was an understatement. He figured she was already planning the wedding, even though Robin is still very much his wife. It didn’t slip past him that his mother didn’t say anything about Robin in the message. He already knew that it wasn’t an open invitation to bring Robin. His mother was a very outspoken woman and one time when Robin went to brunch with Jeremy and his mother, his mom made it plainly clear that it wasn’t an open invitation to outsiders, but since she was there she might as well stay.

Jeremy couldn’t understand it. His mother always just told him that it was just something about the girl that rubbed her the wrong way and he just chalked it up to her thinking that she felt like nobody was good enough, worthy if you will, to be with her baby. That is, with the exception of Charlotte. If his mother knew what they’d done the night before, she would call Robin directly to tell her to pack her bags.

Jeremy scoffed at the idea of letting on to his mother about anything. She was already pulling Charlotte back into the family circle. If Charlotte agreed to go to brunch with them, which he couldn’t see why she wouldn’t, the meal would definitely be interesting.

He hung up the phone just as he was pulling in his driveway. He took a deep breath and then almost immediately released it. He laughed to himself as he realized that his clothes, and now his entire car, smelled of Charlotte’s perfume. His smile faded, though, as he realized that that was not a good thing. He turned the car back on and cracked the windows of the vehicle hoping that the fresh air would push out the perfume smell. His clothes were another issue all by themselves.

Once he entered the house, he stripped down and put the clothes in the hamper. He made a mental note to do a load of laundry as he stepped in the shower.
_________________________________________________________________________

After making it home, Charlotte fell across her bed. She couldn’t believe her night. She loved every minute of it, though. She couldn’t stop smiling, either.

She jumped when her house phone rung. She looked at the caller ID and saw her sister’s name on the screen.

“Hello?” she said.

“Char, hey. You okay? Your cell phone is going straight to voicemail,” her sister told her.

“Oh yeah, I forgot I turned my phone off last night. Hold on,” she said as she reached for her purse.

She propped the phone between her shoulder and her cheek while she dug in her purse for the phone. Once she pulled it out, she powered it on.

“Girl,” Charlotte started, “you won’t believe what happened to me last night.”

“I can only imagine after reading the very vague text you sent me last night. I waited up all night waiting for details from you. I finally went to bed at 2 a.m. with no word from you. Did you and Jeremy…,” Samantha said, not finishing her thought.

“Can I plead the fifth?” Charlotte asked. “I’m not 100% sure what is going on, but I know I liked it and I definitely would do it all over again. But, if you must know something, know that Jeremy and I finally expressed how we felt, I mean, feel about each other. All those years, all this time, if I would’ve just told him… That wife of his? That could’ve been me.”

Samantha and Charlotte were both quiet for a minute after that. Neither of them knew what else to say. For Charlotte, it was slowly sinking in that there would probably be consequences to her sleeping with a married man. For Samantha, she was beginning to realize that her older sister wasn’t the angel she thought she was all these years. And she was surprisingly happy about that.

“You know what, sis? I’m proud of you,” Samantha told her sister. “All these years I’ve been the bad one, the one going after what I wanted regardless of the consequences. I’m glad you broke out of your shell.”

Charlotte laughed. It wasn’t that she was goody-goody, she was just careful about how she handled people and situations. But she thought what her sister said was sweet nonetheless.

“Thanks, Sam,” Charlotte said, exhaling. “Okay. I’m going to jump in the shower. I’ll talk to you a little later.

Charlotte went to the bathroom and stripped her clothes off. As she pulled the shirt over her head, she stopped in mid-air. Jeremy’s scent was all over her clothes. She smiled at the thought of him still having the cologne she bought him, and remembering that she loved it.

She thought about all the little things that he did, just for her benefit, just to make her smile. She couldn’t help it as her love swelled just a little bit more for him.

3 comments:

mum said...

Yay! I got to read two posts today. WooHoo!!! mum

Kaboodall said...

OMG!!! 2 posts on a Friday....who could ask for more! Lady! I'm lovin this blog soooooo much I just can't get enough. Great job!

Lady said...

I was hoping that that should make up for not having one earlier in the week. I hope to be back Monday with the next post.

Have a great weekend, ladies!!!